List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeinit_wrapper can't connect to kdeinit
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-29 5:26:31

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > What is the reason for defaulting to $KDEHOME instead of
> > > /tmp/kde-<user>
> >
> > Well, I would like to use /tmp/kde-<username> but I can't guarantee that
>
> Ahh yes, the usual DoS issues.
>
> > can create it. So the next best thing is to use $KDEHOME/tmp-<hostname>
> > and
>
> There you also can't guarantee that you can create it (although this is
> less probable).  Hmm, I'm beginning to think, that the real cause for all
> this is, that there is no (unix-) tradition for a per-user directory in
> /tmp.

Yes. and Unix people tend to be very conservative so i don't see this
happening anytime soon now.

> May be, we should introduce a $KDETEMP variable defaulting to
> /tmp/kde-<user> (or even /tmp/<user>) if available, were we put _all_ our
> temp files (and the hope is, that others might pick that up) and use that.
>
> This can be set in startkde. But OK, this is not far away from making a
> symlink from $KDEHOME/tmp-<bla> . Hmm, although I like more the solution
> with an environment variable (adjustable per process, settable from a
> konsole...), than playing dirty things with symlinks.

$KDETEMP is fine with with me. I would still like to make a distinction
between sockets and temp files though. There are situations where there is
only a limited amount of /tmp space available. In such a case you can point
$KDETEMP to a mounted drive, but you want to keep your sockets locally
(euhm.. well, at least on a non-AFS mount)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE/Linux, made for people, made by people.