List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: selecting files in konqueror
From:       Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-08-28 21:15:01

Hi,

David Faure wrote:

> [lots of good stuff]
> Hmm, this discussion starts to be kde-look-like...
There are 3 systems:
Windows single-click-system:
  activation      - single click
  selection       - resting the mouse
  multi-selection - resting the mouse + mode key (Ctrl or Shift)

Windows double-click-system:
  activation      - double click
  selection       - single click
  multi-selection - single click + mode key (Ctrl or Shift)

KDE2 uses:
  activation      - single click
  selection       - single click + mode key (Ctrl)
  multi-selection - single click + mode keys (Ctrl+Shift)

I summarize,
1.) KDE2 needs additional keys most often which I judge as complicated.
;(
2.) double-click system is historically used by trained users but not
intuitive for novices (shouldn't be recommented)
3.) single-click system uses for each action exactly one click less than
the double-click system
4.) single-click-system uses the least clicks of all (so it's the
easiest one for navigating)
5.) selection on KDE2 is more complicated than on both Windows
click-systems

Please, think about this but I give up now since I've got the feeling
you have a fixed opinion and I cannot convince you. :)

Anyway Cheers,
  F@lk