List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Life beyond 2.0
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-28 5:11:18

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 18:28:03 +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:

>IMHO the proposal will make things much more complicated for users
>unless we do as Alex says, and we release _every_ package each time.
>
>But then, what is the benefit of this proposal ?
>
>Are we really going to stop releasing an improved kdenetwork because it
>doesn't have a complete translation ? I don't think this is the way to
>go.
>
>We release code, translators release translations. Otoh, we sometimes
>release bugs and translators release untranslated strings. That's life,
>and I don't think we should stop releasing a package just because there
>are missing translations (except for "important" releases like
>2.0 or 2.1)
>
>What worries me is the sentence
>
>> Then perhaps a new version should be released changes or no
>
>There's no point in releasing an old package as if it was a new one
>(and this will only make users feel fooled).
>
>Anyway, I agree that we need to release more often.
>
>I think the question is if we should consider missing translations
>like showstoppers as we're doing right now. I don't think we should.

Neither do I. No matter how important translations are (and everybody
knows that I think they are _very_ important): We now have over 50
translation teams that are extremely varying as to their activity, as
to how many people they can recruit and how much these people
translate. Also there are absolutely no full-time
translators/documenters yet as there are full-time developers. There
are not even people who can make KDE work "somehow" part of their
studies or regular work as apparently quite a few of the developers do.
Translation work so far is totally a thing of spare time, evenings, and
weekends of people with full-time, non-KDE jobs.

Accordingly, I don't think it's realistic to get translations totally
in synch with more frequent releases. I'd say: keep the translators
informed about the release dates (ie please remember to CC all
important announcements to kde-i18n-doc@kde.org). But don't stall
package releases because of unfinished translations. It is difficult
enough already to get them in synch for the main releases.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/