List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: NetAccess strikes again (DCOP)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-08-11 12:31:09

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote :
>On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, David Faure wrote:
>>
>> It does indeed !
>
>Yippie.
>
>> Thanks, Waldo !
>> Wow, this stuff is scary :-)
>
>Scary? It's not that bad isn't it?

Well, it is for me, at least at first look :)

>> Now the problem is that I also changed all dcop methods in uiserver to be
>> ASYNC instead of void, to avoid a re-entrance issue I thought was there.
>> Apparently it's not. I wonder if it should rather be void or ASYNC
>> then....
>
>I had a look at uiserver yesterday and my first thought was "why aren't they
>ASYNC?".

Because ASYNC didn't exist when it was written :-)

>Not so much with re-entrancy in mind but more that it's bad for
>performance to wait for things that don't return anything usefull anyway.
Yup. Same thoughts here. Ok, I'll make them ASYNC.

I tried also making Observer::killJob ASYNC but apparently that would be
a mistake (I managed to get a progress info from observer right after sending the
killjob -> crashed kio_uiserver, since it didn't know about that job anymore).
So this one will remain sync, it's safer :-)

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/