List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Release status, changes in the schedule
From:       Matthias Elter <me () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-08-10 7:04:42

(...)
> > P.S.: Sorry but we have to enforce that hard freeze now or KDE 2 will be
> > delayed again.
>
> Then I will either have to
>
> a) Release a separate KDE
> b) Remove the theme engine and some KWin style and release them
> separately.

I hear you talking about your new style engine and the kcontrol module
since _months_. Last time you said it is basically done and you just
have to commit was in Trysil. You had plenty of time to get your stuff
done in time, as the release schedule is on developer.kde.org since
months. We (as a team) have agreed on this schedule long time ago.

Do you actually care about things like release schedules or the bug
database? I know that rules in a open source project are no fun but KDE
as a very large project needs some basic rules or we wont get anything
done.

Speaking of teams, do you know that KDE is not just a gang of
developers? We have people working on translations and documentation out
there. If you ever did some translations you might know that _they_ are
the real heros of KDE. We have already scared lots of translators away
(there are only 9 active teams left) with our so called "code freezes"
nobody cared about. Do you think its fun to start translation all over
again every second day when somebody adds new strings? Do you think
documentation is going to be written when features are added every
second day?

> Both are missing important features needed for KDE2.

Mosfet, dont get me wrong, you have done a great work on the sytle stuff
but a new style engine is _not_ a cirtical feature we should delay KDE 2
for. You might not realize it but translations for example are way more
important. Do you think any distribution will ship KDE 2 as their
default desktop in France, Spain, Germany or any non-English speaking
country when there are no translations???

KDE 2 will be the default desktop on all major distributions, and we
will have millions of users. Most of them wont be geeks. 8 out of 9
million KDE users dont care a shit about style engines but want to get
their work done.

Bye,
Matthias

--