List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt and pngs
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-08-07 19:55:33

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, David Faure wrote:

> I'm quite confused wrt Qt and pngs.

Relax :-)

> * I've seen reports of crashes in png functions, see #6799
> * Using KDE on an 8 bit display crashes reliably when loading
>   2-bit or 4-bit pngs, see #7676 and many other reports which confirmed this.

I've filed a bug report at TT already about those two, don't worry about
them. I got a reply and as soon as my compilation finished I will sort
it out.

> * On "LinuxPPC on a Mac clone", PNGs have the wrong color (#6443).
>
> Now, what does -system-png change wrt to this ? Is it supposed to help
> or to make it worse ?

It probably makes it worse. Qt 2.2.beta1 has a very recent libpng, which
should work. If it doesn't work there, then those are bugs in Qt.

> The new README.qt-copy doesn't have -system-png. Is it because Qt 2.2.0
> has better support for pngs than most system libs ?

correct, that's why I removed it. Mosfet added it some time ago because
there was a problem with transparent pngs some time ago with the
old libpng Qt shipped.

Dirk