List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: More lib unloading mess
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-08-03 12:30:58

Hi,

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, David Faure wrote:

> Ok, so this should be fine. Except when pixmaps were created by libs
> that have now been unloaded. Because in that case it tries to delete
> something that is in an unaccessible address space (right ?).

When something is deleted, the constructor is called, which only crashes,
when code for that constructor is not available, which is not the case for
Qt classes, as we don't unload libqt. It would be a problem if QPixmap has
some members pointing to objects of classes having code in some unloaded
libs. Don't know if this is the case here.

> So after I unload konq_iconview, it's ok to delete the pixmaps it
> created (using QIconView) ? I'm a bit confused by why deleting
> something that was created by a now unloaded library crashes - at
> least for pixmaps: the ~QPixmap code is still loaded, so it should be
> ok..... But I've tested it's not....

Only not ok, if its members point to some classes in libkonq_iconview.

> stuff from the icon loader. Well, I won't be able to reproduce it....
> but in any case it's quite annoying to have so many things that Qt
> remembers about, and as soon as we unload a lib it crashes all over
> the place.

If Qt would provide a mean to selectively clean all its caches (not only
at application exit), it would be far easier, yes.

Ciao,
Michael.