List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kapp and kcmdlineargs
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-08-03 9:52:10

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:52:57PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > Why do we still have
> >
> > void KApplication::parseCommandLine( int& argc, char** argv )
> >
> > in kapp.cpp? Why doesn't the constructor
> > 	KApplication::KApplication( int& argc, char** argv, const QCString&
> > rAppName, bool allowStyles, bool GUIenabled ) :
> >
> > simply use KCmdLineArgs?
> >
> > Currently, there's a lot of duplicated functionality in kapp, not even
> > marked as obsolete. Waldo, could you have a look at this as you know that
> > stuff best ?
>
> Ok. I would love to throw some stuff out, especially some similair functions
> in KUniqueApplication that are already marked "depreciated". They aren't used
> any more in CVS to my knowledge (I just converted the last uses) but removing
> e.g.the virtual  "KUniqueApplication::newInstance(QValueList<...>...)" will
> break binary compatibility
... and of course source compatibility.

> Shall I mark it as "do not use" and keep it in
> for the lifetime of kde 2.0 or shall I remove it ??

I'd really like it if programs that compiled against 1.9x would
compile against 2.0. Think about non-cvs developers, they don't
like porting their apps N times, the libs being a moving target.

It doesn't hurt to keep this until after 2.0 IMHO.

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org