List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KArchie License
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-08-02 20:47:21

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Andreas Pour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I happened to look at the license for karchie.  Karchie contains a bunch
> of files from the University of Washington which implement Prospero.
> All of these have a restriction to the effect of:
>
>   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>   documentation for non-commercial purposes and without fee is hereby
> --------------------++++++++++++++
>   granted
>
> Thus, I wonder if it's a mistake that it's included in any kde core
> package (well, it's now in kdenonbeta), or if the license specified has
> been overridden somehow, in which case the license text should be
> updated.
>
> As it stands, it seems that it would be a copyright violation for anyone
> to sell CDs with this package on it, or even possibly for a business to
> use it.

Nah, it's not illegal for people to include it on the CD (it is on the
FreeBSD set after all), but I'd imagine it's illegal for people to make
comercial distributions of KDE (wait.. Corel does that, right?).

I'd say, find an actual problem... like it won't compile, it's
depreciated, archie servers are now dead, etc.

- alex