List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Freeze: May we ADD messages?
From:       Francois-Xavier Duranceau <duranceau () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-07-31 18:59:36

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > Le Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Peter Putzer a
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >the subject says it all...
> >
> > and the answer is no AFAIK.
> > Otherwise translators will never be able to catch up with the new messages
> > popping up everywhere between now and the 2.0 release. They can't translate
> > all of KDE overnight :)
> >
> > Now, maybe that you can get an exception from them ?
> > There has to be a freeze, but at the same time, 10 new strings added now
> > aren't impossible to take care of....
> >
> I know this message is a bit old, but I would like to answer anyway.
> There will come enough "exceptions" and I would like to see them
> reserved
> for docu changes like quick help and what's this. We wanted to reserve
> the
> time between the beta and the release with bug fixing, documentation
> writing
> and translations.
what's this messages are for sure very important for the end users. But
they increase the work of the translaters. I mean while regular widgets
messages are only made of several words the what's this messages are
often several setences (from 2 to 10 lines). If we still allow adding
them in the apps the release must be delayed. IMO 4 weeks are needed to
translate the most important docs (quickstart guide...), finish and
proofread the po. If we want to keep the current release schedule the
real message freeze has to been soon.

FX
--
Francois-Xavier DURANCEAU