List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KArchie
From:       joerg habenicht <j.habenicht () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-07-31 10:31:04

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:

> Am Sam, 29 Jul 2000 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
> > Hi,
> >
> > KArchie has serious unicode-related issues. it lives still in the
> > i18n == const char* world. Besides that, is archie still active at all?
> >

> The Archie databases are not maintained any longer (i.e., no new files are
> added), but they are still online.
>
> > what should we do with it? disabling from compilation?
> >
> > I considered fixing, but this is more than a 2 hour job. Almost every
> > line needs to be touched as far as I can see. I'm not sure if it
> > is worth the effort. Same as a rewrite, to adopt KDE 2 features.
> > and then I wonder if it shouldn't be a ioslave if at all..
>
> Jörg Habenicht <j.habenicht@gmx.de> has worked on it and is currently
> maintaining it. I'll CC: this to him to see whether he can do it (hi,
> Jörg!).

Heio Folks!

> Otherwise I would consider removing it before RC1.
>
> Kalle

recendly I spend some time to adopt the app to basic KDE2 funtions, but it
indeed lacks DnD to the desktop and XML-GUI.

The 50% C code someone mentioned isn't mine, 'cause I just hacked a KDE
GUI for the prospero client using the available code.

Speaking of fuerther maintenance I don't got any time to do this, because
I'm working on my thesis right now and have other projects like
imap-kmail and kuml going on.

summary: Archie is dying, well everyone should spend some flowers, because
it had been a very usefull tool 4 years ago, and afterwards let it RIP. Me
in personal I'm sorry about this, but KArchie just had been a supporter
for and had been dependant on the service (... which is dying). So let
KArchie die and maybe someone can make use of some codeparts lateron.

cu,
Joerg

--
THE full automatic planets host
:-)                            http://www.planetsserver.com

"Das Leben sollte nicht so ernst genommen werden,
 man überlebt es sowieso nicht."