List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Slighly related - next try
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cplane ! com>
Date:       2000-07-28 17:54:37

> But they aren't documents in the same way a text file is a document. I
> don't think of my scheduling data as a "document".

  Ok, it is "data". But as a notebook or as a Palm Pilot, in the physical
world it is one, touchable thing. And normally you keep it in the most
accessible place possible: in my pocket. And there are other possible future
things: electronic wallets, signature files etc. which also must be visible
and accessible.

> Besides, using ~/ IS pollution.

  Ok, I am getting confrontational here. :- (Although my proposal was
Documents, not ~)

  So, what are we supposed to use ~ for? About one hundred hidden
configuration files, in the most visible part of my system. Some of them even
from kde: .kderc, .ksirc-xxxx, .KSMServer, .DCOPServer, .MCOP-random-seed
etc.

  Now, those SHOULD go to .kde, as they are never touched by users - even
advanced ones. That is certainly pollution. And they even have the tendency
to accumulate.

  Oh, and we are also using ~ for the files we have downloaded or saved from
netscape.

  On the other hand: .addressbook, .signature is already there, too. What I
was proposing is to save these things in a visible place. I understand that
this is more of a distribution problem, but we have a number of guys on this
list who are doing exactly this: maybe they can comment on it.

  I think that the whole thing boils down to deciding what should be visible
and what should be hidden from the user. What I am arguing is that what in
the real world is visible (addresses, scheduling info, documents,
keys==passwords eg pgp keyring, wallet==electronic money should be visible in
the GUI, too).
   Concepts which are purely internal computer info (most of the .configs,
lockfiles, communication sockets etc) should be hidden. They are better
hidden as visible files in an invisible directory (configrc in .kde), than as
so called invisible files in the home dir (.configrc in ~).

                Lotzi