List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: proposed thread checking for autoconf
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-07-28 11:20:21

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > Don't set LIBPTHREAD in that macro, or better yet clear it, if -pthread is
> > supported, as LIBPTHREAD is supposed to hold a "-lxxx" argument. The only
> > bad thing is, that -pthread is only supported by gcc on some systems. But
> > -lpthreads is even worse.
>
> Eck.  -pthread is supposed to be used while compiling and at least while
> linking.  I think it sets a few preprocessor defines, and then
> properlylinks with -lc_r and not -lc.  Hence it should be set in the
> LIBPTHREAD flag.

But you already set it for CXXFLAGS (by using USE_THREADS or so), so it
already is used even for linking. Setting LIBPTHREAD would only mean to
doubly define -pthread.  So if -pthread given for the compile and link
command is all what is needed to make threading work on FreeBSD, its
enough to only define USE_THREADS, and to clear LIBPTHREAD, the rationale
being, that LIBxxx should contain only -lxxx arguments (may be -Lxxx, but
even those would be arguable). If there are special flags needed only for
linking, which are no -lxxx, then call the option something like
LDADD_THREADS (but I guess, for FreeBSD and some other platforms that
wouldn't be needed, as -pthread should be enough).

Ciao,
Michael.