List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Message freeze?
From:       Francois-Xavier Duranceau <duranceau () free ! fr>
Date:       2000-07-25 21:41:08

Logi Ragnarsson wrote:

> "COMPLETE FEATURE FREEZE
>
>  in effect! This means that the API, messages and feature set will not be
>  changed until KDE 2.0 is released."
>
> or so I thought.. until suddenly there are 80 untranslated messages in
> kdelibs.po and 92 fuzzy ones. Can we expect an actual frieze? Maybe we'd
> just be better off waiting until KDE 2 is safely released and is really sure
> not to change any more?
>
> Especially annoying are the fixes where the case of a letter is changed or
> something equally pointless. Might I again recommend that these things be
> done in an English translation so that we can get on with translating into
> other languages without having it all broken regularly?

Now only fixes in the english strings seem to be allowed but the release
schedule is far from being very clear on this topic. Thomas can you give
more details? When will be the "real hard message freeze" effective?

> It's a bit annoying to see all your work turn to fuzz every so often,
> especially when the messages are supposedly frozen. In fact, starting to
> translate months before the release date doesn't seem to make much sense at
> all...

Indeed.

> What will be the policy with updated translations after KDE2 is released?
This is a rather interesting issue especially regarding the docs. All
the docs won't be translated in the native languages for KDE 2.0
(because the english version are written very late). Would it possible
be possible to add in khelpcenter the ability to download the newly
translated docs (post KDE 2.0 release) from a predefined 'KDE doc
server'?

FX
--
Francois-Xavier DURANCEAU