List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DnD of desktop files
From:       Espen Sand <espensa () online ! no>
Date:       2000-07-22 8:26:28

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, David Faure wrote:
> Le Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Espen Sand a
> >Hi,
> >
> >I raised a similar question back in february (I think) regarding parsing
> >of dropped Desktop files to get access to the url inside (if it was an
> >url desktop file). Some questions:
> >
> >1) Is there code somewhere (a class perhaps) that can be used to parse
> >a deskop file?
>
> KDesktopFile, in kdecore

Ok, thanks.

> >2) It is really not a good solution to parse the desktop file since this
> > will not work when a drop is done on an application that is running on
> > another machine. Then same problem can (will sooner or later) happen when
> > the application receives a drop from a desktop that is not running as the
> > same user.
>
> Just like any remote URL. The receiver must download it.
>
> >So: would it not be better to include the desktop file contents in the
> > dragged object? Then it can be parsed by the receiver regardless where it
> > is.
>
> You could do that, but as a special mimetype then (application/x-desktop)
> If you do that as text/url, dropping a desktop file that points to ftp.kde.org
> will copy ftp.kde.org...
> A special mimetype (in addition to the URL of the desktop file) might indeed
> speed up things a little bit, but I'm not sure it's worth the hack.

I am not thinking of the speed, but rather to make it possible to get access the
desktop contents if the receiver happens to be on another machine or is running
as another user that is not alowed to read the file. This is of course only
interresting when the desktop file contains an url entry not pointing to a
local resource The dragged object must contain both the regular stuff it does
today and extra data which I think could be the entire desktopfile contents to
make it simple and general.

Anyway, this is of course not for 2.0  :)

--
Espen Sand