List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: hostname() used in KApplication::launcher
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-07-18 14:23:24

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:

> > Well, surprisingly the name of the launcher will be "klauncher".
> It's klauncher_$host_$uid for nearly half a year already.

Well, because of the changes (s.b) it makes no longer sense to mangle
the host or uid into the klauncher name.

> > errm, that's wrong. You are not able to do dcop calles via different
> > UINs.
> Who says so? This is the way it has been done since the launcher was
> introduced.

Well, there is no complete documentation of what we were hacking on the
last few days, but I can give you a short summary. for more detailed
stuff Matthias Ettrich and Michael Matz will be able to help.

By default, ksmserver && DCOPserver will no longer listen on a TCP socket
because of the security problems with that we want to avoid until
we have a working framework to handle these problems.

So now dcopserver/ksmserver will only listen on a local AF_UNIX socket
which has the mode setting 0700, which means only the user itself
will be able to connect to the dcopserver that is running for him.

we can set it to 0777 but then we need authentification (that .ICEauthority
file in your home directory). doing that is pretty slow and according
to Matthias Ettrich the authentification is exploitable, there are known
security problems in that part of the ICE code.

So right now this means one dcopserver per user. separate dcopservers
mean also separate klauncher.

The points that are unanswered:

do we need communication between different userids?
between different machines?
how to solve the problems attached with it?

Dirk