List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: hostname() used in KApplication::launcher
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-07-18 12:42:54

Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:
> > although using localhost is better than not using the launcher at all,
> > I think it's his system that is broken. gethostname() shouldn't do DNS
> > at all, it should return the hostname which is stored in the kernel by
> > sethostname().
>
> The problem is that there is at least one distribution out there that
> ships by default a system where gethostname is not working.

David's pactch will cure this.

> I'm not sure why we need that function anyway. as far as I know
> does klauncher work via DCOP, so all it needs to know is where to find
> the dcopserver and nothing more.

It needs 1. know where the DCOP server is, and 2. what the laucher's name
is. The need for 2. arises because we are not always executing commands on
the local host under the local uid. If for example, I run konqy as root
using kdesu, it needs to use "klauncher_localhost_0" instead of
"klauncher_localhost_500"

Greetings,
Geert