List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    IOSlave thoughts / Layered IOSlaves anyone?
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-07-12 6:50:16

One thing I've noticed while my OpenSSL installation was fucked up recently,
was that most of the ioslaves that "support" SSL are in reality duplicating a
*lot* of the same code, and polluting their code with some rather heinous
preprocessor directives.  Ack, this is not fun at all. Anyways, I also
noticed that the gzip ioslave isn't compilied by default.

My question is this.  What happened to the various filter ioslaves and such?
Honestly I'd like to create (or see one created) aome sort of SSL ioslave
that would free up the various ioslaves to concentrate merely on their
protocol, and allow our SSL support to become more robust.  Something perhaps
automatically layered underneath the http/pop/imap/etc ioslave when required.

I've got no idea where to really begin on something like this (I'm attempting
to familiarize myself with the code a bit more as I ponder finishing the smtp
ioslave).  Thoughts? Comments? Help?

- alex