List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Config backends
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-07-04 12:05:42

Hello,

	I have just read some messages about things that could be
implemented as alternative backends for KConfig, like a LDAP backend, for
example.

	There is, however, a rather large problem: authentication.

	The current KConfig API makes no previsions for configs that need
passwords/usernames/whatever to work.

	If anyone has any idea of a nice way to add this, wouldn't it be
nice to have it in place, so we avoid a binary incompatibility when
someone actually goes and implements one of those backends?

	I must confess I have no clue on how to do it myself, except by
asking the user and storing it in a known place.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul