List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kab (Was: Re[2]: __ bug in kmail)
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-07-03 18:05:06

<q>
Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, Mirko Sucker wrote:
> > Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > Why does KAB always write out a database? Startup of KAB takes way too
> > > much time IMO. The goal for applications should be too start up within
> > > 0.3 seconds.
> >
> > Do you know what users shout at me if a simple bug destroys there address
> > database?
>
> We have the same problem with configuration files. Still, we don't start to
> make backup files of every configuration file during startup. I'm sure you
> had a reason to do what you are doing, that doesn't mean the current way of
> doing is necasserily the best.
>
><cut>
>
> I have no problem with backups. I have a problem with backups which are made
> unnecasserily. I never touch my addressbook and yet, every time kmail
starts,
> a backup is made???? What is that good for?

Peace of mind? I would far rather have a million backups than a single
disaster.
</q>

I believe only one backup file is kept so this doesn't seem to be a valid
argument. In fact if you delete half the entries in you address book exit and
restart then your backup will be overidden and those entries permanently lost
even if you don't make any changes.

(Also I would not want an unbounded number of backup files to be kept as it's
a waste of disk space, especially if they were all duplicates)

Waldo's argument appears to be flawless to me.

I will try working around this in KMail (if possible) as I also want the
startup time to be quick.

BFN,
Don.