List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Writing KParts plugins
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-07-02 13:32:18

David Faure wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:19:50AM +0100, Richard Moore wrote:
> > file:/home/rich/src/writing-plugins/writing-plugins.html
> >
> > I've written a tutorial based on the plugin I wrote this evening.
> > Could someone check it for errors before I stick it on the developer
> > site?
>
> Great that you wrote that ! Excellent.
>
> Just one comment (after reading HTML as plain text, so I didn't really
> read the code): I think you should use $(KDE_PLUGIN) in the LDFLAGS line.
> The word plugin means something slightly different here, but it applies
> to KParts plugins as well :-)

I'll fix that.

> I'm glad you found it easy to figure out :-)
> (That was priority number 1 when designing KParts ;)

It is really very simple. :-) At the moment the docs are a little
weak however which makes things harder. Part of the trouble is that
the classes that do the work are complex and so this makes it quite
hard to see how it all fits together.

For instance I cannot see how to write a plugin that adds a page to
a properties dialog, or how to get events telling the plugin when
the URL changes. Any chance you could enlighten me?

Cheers

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk