List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: mpeglib into KDE/CVS ?
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-07-01 10:00:02

>> Hello,
>>

>> please test the current mpeglib (pre15).

>Just a question:

>What are the advantages of this library over smpeg / SDL?

I think there a many, but one important is:

* mpeglib works with KDE2.0/artsd

Others:

* the smpeg mp3 player is not very good.(missing vbr,robust seeking)
  (in fact smpeg is more an mpeg I video player, the mp3
   player is mucho untesed IMHO)
  Note: mpeg I video is mpeg I layer 2, _not_ mp3

* mpeglib has a plugin architecture, which smpeg has not.
  this makes the ogg plugin work and plugins for mpeg2 dvd
  (which I recently removed for the KDE/CVS version)

One advantage of smpeg/SDL is the software resizer but its
not threadsafe (according to the sources) so it cannot
be used by arts anyway this problems should go away with XFree4.0.
The sync in mpeglib is better and it plays more videos
(At least I have a few which smpeg plays not)

regards,

Martin