List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Release status report
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-06-30 16:18:25

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:

> Hi KDE developers!
>
> Current Status
> ==============
>
> 20 days until the KDE 2.0 Feature Freeze
>
>  3 weeks until KDE 1.92 will be released
>  6 weeks until KDE 2.0 RC 1 will be released
>  9 weeks until KDE 2.0 will be released
>
> Milestones
> ==========
>
> On July 20th, the features for KDE 2.0 will be frozen. After
> that date, only bug fixes will be possible.
IMHO this schedule is a bit too optimistic. Shouldnīt there be a phase in
between where only the libs are frozen? Till now everybody cared to get the
basic things done. And make the libs feature complete and ready for a long BC
freeze.
With KDE 1.x we set a standard for our users. One thing I extremly appreciate
and like are the many, many litle things that make life soo much easier. And I
guess Iīm not alone. Iīd say they are a(the?) key of success of KDE. However
many of these little things are missing in current KDE 2.0. Probably mostly
because of the above mentioned situation noone had time to care about them,
yet. So I propose a change to the release schedule.

3 weeks until KDE 1.92 will be released
  - from now libs are frozen, only bugfixes are allowed, and strictly keep BC
  - implement those many little things
  - IMO this additional phase is really needed!

6 weeks until KDE 1.93 will be released - *new*
  - from now feature freeze for the whole distribution, only bugfixing

8/9 weeks until KDE 2.0 RC 1 will be released
  - I interpret RC as almost ready, no changes to the code anymore, except
grave bugs
  - no fundamental changes to messages, icons, themes whatever.
    I think only fixing up those things is ok.

+2 weeks until KDE 2.0 will be released

Letīs not do a hurry now! Letīs rather take the time we need. Quality should be
the first aim. We have something to loose! People waitet so long, so they can
as well wait a week more.

> TODO
> ====
>
> o Fix bugs
> o implement missing features
> o improve documentation and translations
Btw: There was talk about a contest for the final KDE 2.0 style. That, should
be done soon, too. Things need time:) Perhaps a big call on all channels(such
as LinuxToday, /.) would be cool. Together with a list of all requirements. So
people can send in design studies. This would also give an intermediate meal
for all those waiting for KDE2;)

Just my 0.02 Euro.

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher                                    :  michael.reiher@gmx.de
Student of Computer Science at TU Dresden/Germany : mr23@inf.tu-dresden.de

"Beware the woods at night, beware the lunar light!"