List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Extensions to the HTTP slave.
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-29 19:47:51

I want to make better interaction possible between khtml and http in a more
or less easily extendiable way.

Things I currently have in my mind are:
* Passing HTTP_Referer from khtml to http.
* Passing "Accept" header from khtml to http.
* Passing "Last modified" from http to khtml.

Other things that need a solution:
* "isCached" indication from http to konqueror. Pages that are not cached by
http need to be cached internally by konqueror so that konqueror's history
does not need to fetch them again.
* "onlyFromCache" indication from konqueror to http. Do not attempt to fetch
a page. Fail if it's not already in the cache.

Since we do not want to make changes to the IO-slave interface for every new
feature we come up with, I am thinking about a mechanism that provides a way
to provide meta-information to and from the io-slave. Although it is
basically needed for kio_http only, it might be usefull to make it such that
all other protocols can make use of it as well.

The idea is that with every call to an IO-slave, a "metaData" packet is send
along as well. The IO-slave stores this metaData before calling the IO-slave
function. (I don't want to change all IO-slave functions again) The IO-slave
also maintains a metaData packet for the application and sends this before
either sending the first data/finished (whatever comes first).

A convenient way to represent the metaData would be a "QMap<QString,
QString>".

The metaData could also be used as replacement for the current "reload" flag.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!