Ho, On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote: > Static objects are evil. Do not use them. If you really need a static object, > use a static pointer instead. E.g. like this: > > static MyObject *my_static_pointer = 0; > if (!my_static_pointer) > my_static_pointer = new MyObject(); To add to that, if you also rely on those objects to be destructed automatically (which the above fails to do), you need to use normal static objects, but _don't_ make them local to functions, instead define them at file global level, like: static MyObject dont_make_that_local; int user_func(int) { do_something_with(&dont_make_that_local); } This works on most platforms. But generally of course, don't use them at all. Ciao, Michael.