List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    explain metaunloading to me, please
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-26 3:13:06

Hello

For the last 20-30 days I assisted with admiration and joy to the
developments with a *very* high level topic in KDE's
functionalities: metaclasses unloading. For a while, I thought I
understand clearly most of the implications and aspects of this useful
technology.

Yet, this evening, I realized the performance to detach myself from the
perception of a continual KDE observer and put myself in the position of
an external developer that targets his application to KDE-2.

As a result, I've got a few questions that I'd really really like answered
(Michael Matz, I look at you with hope :-))  :

a) what exactly made metaunloading necessary (my previous answer was
kdeinit and Waldo's dynlib loading performance-increasing technology)

b) is there any overhead incumbed by the metaunloading? If yes, which?

c) is metaunloading of any interest for a non-cvs-kde app developer? if
yes, what is to be known?

d) what has to know a cvs-kde-app developer concerning using/not-using
metaunloading ? In other words, when is metaunloading indispensable?

Thanks a lot for taking from your busy time in order to answer.

It will be a duty of honour for me to compile the answers in a KDE-HOWTO
for developer.kde.org

--
Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna