List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Beta Announcements "for Linux" only?
From:       Sven Radej <sven () beta ! fdns ! net>
Date:       2000-06-24 14:22:35

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Michael Reiher wrote:
>Andreas Pour wrote:
(...)
>> Some time ago the decision was made to use Linux for press announcements
>> b/c most people (outside the industry) haven't heard of Unix but have
>> heard of Linux.  Plus Linux articles get picked up by more news sites than
>> Unix articles.
>
>But I have to say, KDE is still a free software project and no commercial
>product. So our main target should be our users and not the press. And many
> of our users that remain loyal to KDE since the beginning _are_ using the
> many flavors of UNIX. So we shouldnīt make announcements that give them the
> impression that we donīt really care about them anymore. That now, as KDE
> is very successful on Linux, we donīt need to care anymore about the few
> installations on other unices. Further more one of the key features of KDE
> has always been, and hopefully will always be, the portability in the UNIX
> world.
>
>So making KDE a Linux desktop in the announcment is somehow simply wrong!
> There is not a single word about other unices!(Didnīt notice that before,
> Iīm a bit shocked now) Donīt get me wrong, of course most of the machines
> running KDE are Linux based. So itīs ok to give Linux a special emphasis in
> the announcement, but the other unices have to be treated equally.
>
>Please letīs come down a bit again and letīs focus on our users and not on
>press and market share!

Yes, this is right. While I feel that we should only mention UNIX, I can
understand that Linux gets most of the press. We should at least use phrase
"Linux and all other (or most, or major brands of, or well-behaved, whatever)
Unices"
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org