List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Beta Announcements "for Linux" only?
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-06-24 13:59:31

Andreas Pour wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Peter Putzer wrote:
>
> > I just noticed that the Kleopatra announcement reads "[...] Desktop for
> > _Linux_", shouldn't it say "for UNIX"?
>
> Some time ago the decision was made to use Linux for press announcements
> b/c most people (outside the industry) haven't heard of Unix but have heard
> of Linux.  Plus Linux articles get picked up by more news sites than Unix
> articles.
But I have to say, KDE is still a free software project and no commercial
product. So our main target should be our users and not the press. And many of
our users that remain loyal to KDE since the beginning _are_ using the many
flavors of UNIX. So we shouldnīt make announcements that give them the
impression that we donīt really care about them anymore. That now, as KDE is
very successful on Linux, we donīt need to care anymore about the few
installations on other unices. Further more one of the key features of KDE has
always been, and hopefully will always be, the portability in the UNIX world.

So making KDE a Linux desktop in the announcment is somehow simply wrong! There
is not a single word about other unices!(Didnīt notice that before, Iīm a bit
shocked now) Donīt get me wrong, of course most of the machines running KDE are
Linux based. So itīs ok to give Linux a special emphasis in the announcement,
but the other unices have to be treated equally.

Please letīs come down a bit again and letīs focus on our users and not on
press and market share!

Greets

Michael
--
Michael Reiher                                    :  michael.reiher@gmx.de
Student of Computer Science at TU Dresden/Germany : mr23@inf.tu-dresden.de

"Beware the woods at night, beware the lunar light!"