List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Authentication and kio_http
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-14 16:49:16

Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> Here are the problems that you would face no matter what
>
> 1.)  How do you determine whether or no a particular request needs
> authentication ?  There is no guarantee the same slave would be used
> to process the request so a new slave would have no clue about the type of
> authentication to use or the value of the realm !!  This is the major problem
> caused by the flexible design of the io-slaves...

This is the only "real" problem in my mind.  It's easy enough to solve
for one io-slave -- but since we often have *several* slaves servicing
one session, there is no easy way to let the other ones know that it
should be authenticating.

> 2.) How can you use the services of kdesud daemon without creating a
> dependency b/n the libkio & libkdesud ??  Or should we scrap this
> and create another dcop server that can be used to store such things
> ??

I don't understand this.  The io-slaves already have a dependency on
libkio and the uiserver has the kdesu dep... so it's a minor thing
(IMO) to add the kdesu dep to the slaves, too.

> 3.) How can you provide the password/authentication daemon to other
> io-slaves ??

We already are!  One single kdesu daemon is used by all running
io-slaves.

> When you consider the above questions it is not as easy to resolve
> this solution.   I think we need to discuss this.  In fact I am
> stuck the same way about provide a framework for SSL verification ??
> How do you notify the client app to show certain information.  So
> far I cannot find any solution without creating yet another server
> !?!?  Anyways, either the quick-fix route or the proper-fix route
> the problem is not as easy to deal with.  But then again ...

So what is wrong with kdesu for the SSL verification?
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix