List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Still able to log in when password file shell is /bin/false]
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-06-12 19:20:11

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Mark Huizer wrote:

> > > But it's common practice to set the shell to /bin/false to temporary
> > > forbid login of a specific user. Note, that its not always a solution to
> > > _remove_ the user from /etc/passwd. After all, it might not exist in
> > > /etc/passwd, but in NIS, and may be there are also deeper implications of
> > > removing a user from network (accouting informations, homedirs, such
> > > things).
> >
> > Oh yes, /etc/passwd might not be the only place where the access
> > rights / user info are held, but I assume that this poster is
> > using /etc/passwd for that, as they are setting the shell in
> > there.
> >
> > Anyway, the point is, it's not KDE's fault, because KDE isn't
> > a shell in the same sense :)
>
> But it is a way of logging in, so it should take that responsibility.
> Setting a shell to various things like false, or nologin or even the
> nonexistant version is a common practice for not allowing shell logins
> (think ftp, pop), and you don't want those users to get the login for
> free with KDM

Last I checked, changing the shell didn't work for pop (at least on
solaris and AIX). I will not check on linux right now :-)

In fact, xdm and dtlogin didn't block the user when you changed the shell,
either. Changing the shell simply prevents the use of the shell (yes,
tautology ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul