List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Last week before final freeze exception
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2000-06-01 20:04:12

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> And for those who are currently pissed at me and think I talk to much and
> understand too little, I'm sorry.  Apologies all around for D. Faure,
> S. Westerfield, and Geert.  I know that you are putting your spare time
> into this project and it is not necessarily a job.
>
> I just hope that though I may not have delivered the message in the best
> way, the message was understood nevertheless.

Preston, I deliver much less code (next to nothing) currently than you do
and do understand the situation you're in. There was a lot shooting
without real understanding lately.

Just two random thoughts about it.

First goes to you personally and all other native speakers: Don't use
any idioms or expressions. They will be mis-interpreted by
non-native speakers constantly. "to fall off the face of earth" sounds
extremely suspicious in a coupla languages. ;-) Same goes for
ambiguous verbs line "to betray" ("to disclose" as well as "to be a
traitor" - actually the same ambiguousness as the German verb
"verraten"). This is a constant threat in all interlingual and
intercultural communications. For the lot of us: Don't take anything
too literally. Think about what the other one *might* have thought
about. ;-) We are different, different, different. We are. While it
is a pleasure to meet all these different people, it also is a
source of misunderstanding, confusion, and anger. (For the non-native
speakers: Don't try to be funny in a language you don't speak well.)

Second goes to RedHat. From my point of view, the best thing RH
can do with your for all three (RH, you, and KDE) is to let you work on
KDE. If they don't let you get out of touch with the latest KDE
development you would be much more capable of contributing. Which,
in turn, would make you a greater asset to KDE as well as to RH.

/me leaving my tiny soap box.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org