List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [Patch] KEditToolbar/Additional Parameters
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-05-31 17:56:30

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> Peter Putzer wrote:
> > This patch adds the usual QWidget* parent and const char* name parameters
> > to the constructors of KEditToolbar.
> >
> > If ok I will commit.
>
> No objections, I guess.. go ahead.

Already done :)

> One question though: why?  The KEditToolbar dialog doesn't need a
> parent at all.. when would you use it?  If you wanted to embed the
> functionality, you would use KEditToolbarWidget, of course....
>
> So this patch is harmless.. but I don't see any good of it either.

The window manager knows that the KEditToolbar belongs to (for
example) KSysV when the parent is set => special handling becomes possible
(e.g. no taskbar/dock icons/... for simple dialogs)

From the QDialog class documentation:
<QUOTE>
A dialog is always a top level widget. The optional parent, however, will
know about this child and also delete it on destruction.
Furthermore, the window system will be able to tell that both the dialog
and the parent belong together. This works for Windows
and also some X11 window managers, that will for instance provide a common
taskbar entry in that case.

It is recommended to pass a parent.
</QUOTE>

bye,