List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror truncates requested URL
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-05-31 7:54:19

On Tue, 30 May 2000 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> > OK I'm working on hunting this down but if someone more familiar with the
> > code can find it faster, even better.
> >
> > If I launch a .desktop file of type Link with the URL:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=344797145
>
> [ description of problems deleted ]
>
> OK!  I found it.  Here's the offender, in class KFileManager (krun.cpp):
>
> /****************/
> bool KFileManager::openFileManagerWindow( const KURL& _url )
> {
>   QString cmd = "kfmclient openURL ";
>   cmd += _url.url();
>   system( cmd );
>   return true; // assume kfmclient succeeded
> }
>
> Problems with this function?
>
> 1. it is in kdelibs, but makes a call into a kdebase program (kfmclient)

I guess the "right" solution would be to let the user choose his favourite
browser and use that one to open up the window.

That means we'd need to ask KTrader for an implementation of a service
like "Browser" :) and execute that service via klauncher?

Hrhmmm, that means we'd have to make the netscape .desktop file in
kappfinder implementation this servicetype and do the same for
kfmclient. This way the user could choose his favourite browser.

But I'm not 100% sure here :-) David is the person with the knowledge here
:-)

However I don't see how you want to get rid of the kdebase dependency?

> 2. it has high overhead because it calls kfmclient.  Is there a way we
>   could do a more direct call? The code here is short and sweet, which is
>   why it was written, but it results in what turns out to be a very long
>   path.  I must be missing something.

Why is it hight overhead to call kfmclient? I don't see any faster way to
open up a new konqueror browser window.

kfmclient re-uses an existing/running konqueror instance to open up a new
window (through the Konqueror dcop interface) or it launches a new
konqueror process, through klauncher/kdeinit .

> 3. the cmd wasn't quoted (I'm fixing, the URL now works fine).

Thanks for fixing this

Bye,
 Simon