List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror truncates requested URL
From:       tibirna () kde ! org
Date:       2000-05-31 3:36:53

On Tue, 30 May 2000 pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> > OK I'm working on hunting this down but if someone more familiar with the
> > code can find it faster, even better.
> >
> > If I launch a .desktop file of type Link with the URL:
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=344797145
>
> [ description of problems deleted ]
>
> OK!  I found it.  Here's the offender, in class KFileManager (krun.cpp):
>
> /****************/
> bool KFileManager::openFileManagerWindow( const KURL& _url )
> {
>   QString cmd = "kfmclient openURL ";
>   cmd += _url.url();
>   system( cmd );
>   return true; // assume kfmclient succeeded
> }
>
> Problems with this function?
>
> 1. it is in kdelibs, but makes a call into a kdebase program (kfmclient)
> 2. it has high overhead because it calls kfmclient.  Is there a way we
>   could do a more direct call? The code here is short and sweet, which is
>   why it was written, but it results in what turns out to be a very long
>   path.  I must be missing something.
> 3. the cmd wasn't quoted (I'm fixing, the URL now works fine).
>
> Let's discuss.

DISCLAIMER: I'm as braindead as an /etc/passwd after a cat /dev/null went
into it, when it comes to kio.

IMVHO, problem is that a kdelibs bit shouldn't have to decide about the
info it is called to process. It should always spit it back and let the
caller (procedure or application) to do things to it. Why is
"openFileManagerWindow" needed in krun?

But I believe that the implications of a general "dunno" answer to this
question would be rather ... hecky to solve. How much of KDE relies on
"openFileManagerWindow" ?

--
Cristian Tibirna     : ctibirna@total.net     : www.total.net/~ctibirna
PhD Student          : ctibirna@gch.ulaval.ca : web.gch.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna