List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KWin & Kicker & focus
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-30 22:48:37

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Am Die, 30 Mai 2000 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > I tried to solve the problem of  going to another desktop and back and
> > still having focus in the same window. This sort of works as long as you
> > don't use kicker or kdesktop:
> >
> > * When you use kicker to switch desktops, kicker will get focus before
> > switching... so when you switch back kicker will get the focus back. This
> > is not what you want.
> >
> > * When you switch to a desktop with no windows, kdesktop will get focus.
> > When you now switch back, kdesktop will keep focus.. (Based on the
> > rationale that a sticky window should keep focus when you switch
> > desktops... this makes sense for normal windows, but kdesktop/kicker
> > spoil this)
> >
> > It would already help a lot if the window-manager could tell me what the
> > previous window with focus was. Then I can restore the focus to this
> > window in kicker before switching (flickers a bit probably)
> >
> > Is there a way I can prevent kdesktop / kicker from getting focus
> > automatically or via mouseclicks? If you want to use kicker/kdesktop with
> > keyboard only it doesn't help you much if mouse-clicks give it focus.
> > Better define a key-sequence which gives it focus.
> >
> > Otherwise I guess I can hack up some kicker/kdesktop/kwin solution since
> > we don't seem to be using this WM spec thing for kde 2.0 anyway.
>
> kicker should get focus when clicking on it. There might be applets
> requireing focus, for example.
>
> Kicker is already connected to a KWinModule, i.e. it receives the currently
> active window all the time (the taskbar uses the same KWinModule). Why not
> remember this window and put focus there before switching desktop?

I managed to solve the problem by introducing the concept that kicker/
kdesktop (and probably the menu bar as well) don't really want to have focus.
They will get focus when you click on them, but when you switch desktop they
will never get focus automatically.

This solves all problems I could think of.

Now we just need a key-sequence to give focus to the desktop and kicker.
This window-key found on most keyboards seems to be a nice candidate for
that, but we also need a key for RMB popup.

Cheers,
Waldo