List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror's location menu
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-30 15:50:15

Stefan Taferner wrote:
> From a user interface point of view there are (at least) two approaches
> possible:
>
> * Either name all menus according to what they are for. This would
>   be Folder, Message, .... in kmail for example
>
> * Or use standard menu names: File, Edit, ...
>
> We all deceided long ago to go the second way, so  please do it.
>
> Waldo was very active in designing the GUI standard. What now?
> Kick it out of the window now that it does not exactly fit?
>
> A standard is to make things look and feel the same. Even if it does
> not always fit.

Please don't think so absolutely -- flexibility is the key, here.  I
am a big fan of "standards" (which is why I converted the XML-GUI
stuff to handle our ui_standards.rc stuff)... but I agree that
'Location' is the best choice here.

This does NOT mean that I think the standards should be "kicked out
the window".  It means that the guideline didn't exactly fit so we
massaged it a bit to make it work for this app.  A 'File' menu just
doesn't fit the Konqueror's paradigm.

Now if, say, the Settings menu was renamed to 'Options' or it's menu
items were mixed up, then I would be up in arms as that would be
totally against the standard... and for no good reason!  There is a
good reason for Location, though.

Hmm... I wonder if we should modify the style guide to say that the
'File' menu is the first menu AND should contain items related to
be named 'File'.  Rather it can have a name that is descriptive to
that app's particular needs.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix