List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: slight change to "dropping links" on kdesktop
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 14:30:00

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 10:22:47AM -0400, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:41:59PM -0400, pbrown@redhat.com wrote:
> > > right now, when you drop a link from netscape or konqi on the desktop,
> > > and select "link," you end up with a desktop file for that URL with a name
> > > set to the URL.  What would be much cooler is if the name was set to the
> > > actual title of the HTML page.
> > >
> > > How bad would this be to implement?
> >
> > Not too hard I think. But this requires changing the signature of
> > bool KIO::link( const KURL::List &srcUrls, const KURL & destDir )
> > so that you can specify the name of the destination link, since the
> > default implementation is
> > // The destination URL is the destination dir + the filename
>
> The way I thought about doing it would be for kdesktop to see that the
> link is a http:// protocol address, and use kio_http to go and grab the
> document title, instead of encoding the title in the signature of
> KIO::link.
>
> What do you think of that approach?

Why not - but it means it won't do it when dropping a link
to another folder (in a konqueror window) - for instance
in the bookmark folder :)
I still wonder why people want to treat the desktop separately,
but let's not go into that again :-)

Anyway, yes, it would be better than doing it in KIO. But the implementation
problem remains (do you download the whole page ? Or do you abort when
you got the title?)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org