List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Kwin freezes
From:       Simon Hausmann <shaus () helios ! Med ! Uni-Magdeburg ! DE>
Date:       2000-05-30 9:44:22

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Matt Koss wrote:

> For over a week I experience a strange bug.
> When I close the last window on the desktop, kwin freezes.
> I have to quit X immediately( or kill kwin from outside ), because otherwise
> it locks my PC completely.
>
> That last  application quits properly, but in the place of the last window
> kwin leaves a grey rectangle.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. As far as I debugged/tested it
I think that kwin segfaults somewhere. This results in drkonqi to be
called, which tries to open up a new window. Oooops, a new window, and
kwin is semi-dead? -> freeze

My "workaround" was to set the KDE_DEBUG environment variable before
launching KDE. This at least doesn't kill your whole X if kwin
crashes. And then you can still do a "DISPLAY=:0.0 kwin &" from a vt ;-)

But that's of course no solution ;-)

Bye,
 Simon