List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kiconloader is scary, and broken
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 5:24:31

KIconLoader is scary, and broken.

I haven't had a look in there in awhile, but the logic has become TOTALLY
convoluted.  There are recursive calls all over the place, and helper
functions like iconPath and iconPath2 that call eachother, and then even
seem to make circular calls back to loadIcon.  I'm totally confused.

It's amazing icons get loaded at all. :)

In any case, I think the logic in here needs some serious cleanups, but
I'm not the one to do it cause I am seriously lost.  But on to the
problem: icon loading for icons which aren't in the new "locolor" and
"hicolor" directories is totally broken.  If a program simply puts its
icon in $KDEDIR/share/pixmaps then it will never be found.  This is bad,
because lots of existing .kdelnk/.desktop files (esp. those shipped by 3rd
party vendors, such as Applix Inc.) are using the format

Icon=myname.xpm

and this doesn't load anymore.  I really think this should continue to
work, as a fallback after all the other checks are done.  If someone can
figure out how to make this work, it would be fantastic.

--
  Preston Brown
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.