List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kmapnotify, LD_PRELOAD, (t)csh and aaarrgh! I'll die today! :-)
From:       tibirna () kde ! org
Date:       2000-05-29 1:19:43

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> I proposed to use /bin/sh in KShellProcess. That was considered a "bad idea".
> Since I myself use bash exclusively and usually only from whithin konsole I
> can't judge what the gains are of using e.g. tcsh from KShellProcess. So I
> have left it at that.

There's more to a shell than the interactive usage. As a sys-admin, I
*very* currently apply whole-system or per-user configurations to the way
systems work on my network, by tweaking shell configuration. Most notable
are notorious system variables: PATH, MANPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc.

Yes, I know, the argument is, hwy not apply these changes in the common
files (like /etc/default/login or ~/.login or whatever) but this is not
always feasible. Well, to make a large complication brief, whenever
possible, the user's shell, as defined in /etc/passwd has to be used when
shell actions are required.

> Since you seem to be one of the few using an alternative shell you can
> probably best judge whether always using /bin/sh in KShellProcess would be a
> solution.
>
> I guess it means that you can't type tcsh shell expressions via Alt-F2 any
> longer. (Only /bin/sh expressions)

It could be a workaround, but it ain't solution. Not being able to use
'foreach...' or things in the Alt-F2 is not so bad. Not being able to
access my personal $PATH in the minicli *is* bad.

More in my answer to Rik

Cristian Tibirna