List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kmapnotify, LD_PRELOAD, (t)csh and aaarrgh! I'll die today! :-)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-29 0:27:35

On Sun, 28 May 2000, tibirna@kde.org wrote:
> Hello
>
> As it seems I'm the only dynosaur in the KDE community that uses tcsh as
> its user shell. Of course, this means KDE-2/CVS is 90% unusable for me
> right now.
>
> Sure is prepending 'LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/libkmapnotify' to the exec
> name sent to KShellProcess ain't solution.
>
> I tried to find some more info about prepending libraries in portable
> ways, I also tried to understand why Rik needs to use this kind of
> mechanism instead of some in-KShellProcess wrapper or whatever but I'm
> obviously not lucid enough these days.
>
> What's the scoop? Will I be forced to switch to bash after 7 years of Unix
> usage? :-)

I proposed to use /bin/sh in KShellProcess. That was considered a "bad idea".
Since I myself use bash exclusively and usually only from whithin konsole I
can't judge what the gains are of using e.g. tcsh from KShellProcess. So I
have left it at that.

Since you seem to be one of the few using an alternative shell you can
probably best judge whether always using /bin/sh in KShellProcess would be a
solution.

I guess it means that you can't type tcsh shell expressions via Alt-F2 any
longer. (Only /bin/sh expressions)

Cheers,
Waldo