List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: annoying bug still around.....
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-27 16:30:27

Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2000, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > What is also lacking KConfig is a method to read global settings.
> > In a configuration dialog, I usually want to offer a button
> > "Defaults" which resets all values in the dialog to the global
> > defaults. Some applications work around this by setting hard-
> > coded defaults. As a consequence, if a Linux distributor or system
> > administrator wants to install a customized version of an
> > application, he has to patch the source code instead of just
> > modifying a configuration file. IMO this sucks.
>
> Am I mis-understading you or isn't KGlobal::config() there for this
> purpose ??  Perhaps you meant something else by "global
> settings"....

Mis-understanding, I think.  I believe that Bernd wants a read setting
that will read ONLY the global config entries.  Currently, KConfig
will read in the global values only if they are not overridden by
local versions.  Bernd wants to be able to skip local entries even if
they do exist.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix