List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdelibs
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-26 5:49:41

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2000, David Faure wrote:
> > I understand your concern now... but I had the same reaction as Stephan
> > had when seeing /usr/share/apps - but that was more a problem for KDE 1
> > (where only KDE specific stuff was allowed there) than now (since
> > .desktop files should be compatible with gnome). Hmmm.
>
> Just a sidenote: you can't put .desktop files under /usr/share
> (at least not the applnk ones). They are specific to a
> machine, so they will have to go to /etc/kde :-)

Ehm? If you mount /usr across NFS you want to have your .desktop files
somewhere under /usr...

The only problem I can think of with the current setup is in a mixed
environment: it could happen that you have multiple /usr/bin's for e.g.
intel, AXP, PPC etc. and that one application is available for intel but not
for the others. Putting the .desktop files under "share" suggests that these
files are architecture-independant: e.g. every .desktop file has a
corresponding executable on all platforms.

Cheers,
Waldo