List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: <pre> formatted text in khtml
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       2000-05-20 17:09:55

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Lars Knoll wrote:

> > <pre> formatted text seems to be broken in some cases in khtml.  The
> most
> > glaring example is <pre> formatted directory listings produced by
> > apache.  An example:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/pbrown/
> >
> > shows separate lines in netscape, and one long line in konqueror.
>
> Well, apache is too stupid to produce valid html. <hr> is not allowed
> inside <pre>, so khtml closes the <pre> element, and puts the html code
> after the <hr> in a seperate paragraph. khtml is already allowing much
> more inside <pre> than the html specs to not break too many pages. Hmmm,
> I'll see if I can get a <hr> inside <pre> working. But the better
> solution would be to tell the apache guys to fix their html. At least a
> web server should produce valid HTML code.

I totally agree about this, but seeing as it is the most popular web
server in the world... you know where I am heading. :)

It would be best if you mail the apache guys because you understand html
syntax 1000x better than me.

--
  Preston Brown
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.