List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-18 14:43:34

Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 11:16:53AM -0500, mosfet wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > possible - it's the easiest thing to do. Now if Carsten wants to fix up
> > ksirc that's of course his choice, but there is a bunch of code at least
> > on my end of things that still needs to be written, bugfixed, etc...
> > that I could use help with as well ;-) If someone is already taking a
> > lot of time hacking one IRC client it would be more ideal IMHO to just
> > use that in kdenetwork than using KDE's developer resources to fix up an
> > older, unmaintained one - esp. since it's not only bugs that I have
> > problems with KSirc about. Of course, I'm no one's boss and can't tell
> > anyone what to do - but it seems to make sense to me.
>
> the problem is: a lot of people (coolo and me at least ;) like ksirc very
> much. I tried kvirc a few times, but I much preferred even a less stable
> ksirc to it. Speaking of stability: I haven't seen any crashes since a
> while, did you? Can you tell me how to reproduce them?

DCC the last time I checked, and closing a channel window.

> So I rather spend some time fixing up an irc client I like than having a
> ready irc client, that I dislike.

Sure, of course. Please don't interpret this as my trying to tell you
what to do! The way things appear to me is we have 2 main potential
clients (excluding xIRC, which could probably be ported easily): kvirc
which is very actively maintained by several developers and ksirc which
is not maintained at all at the moment. Guess which one I would prefer
to include? ;-) Of course, this is just my opinion.

As far as interface, I know some people prefer ksirc but AFAIK they are
in a vast minority. Most users I see on places like efnet using Linux
clients are either using kvirc or gtk's irc - despite the fact that
ksirc is already installed on their system. They just don't like it. Not
that this makes the people who like ksirc's interface opinion any less
valid - it doesn't! But *a lot* of people like kvirc's as well. Plus
kvirc 1.0 simply seems to do more. Not as scriptable but it understands
a crapload of commands, is extremely themeable, has online help for most
commands, has all sorts of cool dialogs for things like /list, file
browsing, etc...

I think if Simon was willing to work in CVS we wouldn't be having much
of a debate. But right now he isn't AFAIK and that's really a shame :(

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org