List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       joerg habenicht <j.habenicht () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-05-18 14:36:33

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:

> joerg habenicht wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that archie is dead right now, though it may be a matter of
> > time after one or the other server closed down.
> > On the other hand it gives you a nice method to look up ftp-server
> > contents.
>
> AFAIK, the archie databases are not updated any longer. The same

:-\

> functionality is now provided by ftpsearch (which AFAIK is what Columbo
> FTP uses).
>

> > right now I try to move it to KDE2 and make it KParts (to enable it for
> > konqueror "find-in-internet"?) .
> > On the other hand I don't got enough time to get it ready for KDE2.0,
> > therefor I vote for moving it to kdenonbeta.
>
> OK. Do you already know that you won't manage to update it in time or do
> you want us to "wait and see"? If you know that you won't manage to
> update it before August/September, we can move it right away.

In fact, I'm not shure cause I'm working on my masters thesis right now.
If it's ok by you, we should leave it in the networks package and see,
what we can get done by August.

> If you want, I can also help you updating it so that we don't have to
> move it. Just let me know what you want to do yourself.

Well, to fit into KDE2.0 it should support kparts and D'nd to the
filemanager/desctop.
I had a fast look at the kparts docu, so it shouldn't
be _that_ difficult. Maybe I have to undergo some changes of the GUI
internals to easy port it to kparts.
The other thing of Dnd I'll move further away, maybe the kfm people can
give me a hint.
Everything else is shugar for the GUI, i.e. not essentially needed.

> Kalle

cu,
Joerg

--
THE full automatic planets host
:-)                            http://www.planetsserver.com

"Das Leben sollte nicht so ernst genommen werden,
 man überlebt es sowieso nicht."