List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP bug again :} (Re: Password caching for io-slaves)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-18 13:50:15

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 10:02:17AM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> On Wed, 17 May 2000, David Faure wrote:

> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > You do a dcopcall from within process()... I think that confuses DCOP. I had
> > > the same problem within KLauncher where I called isApplicationRegistered()
> > > from within process().
> >
> > Ah. That's what happens when we start using DCOP extensively...
> > This shows a flaw in the current design, then.
> > Dawit, if the passwd cache is done in kdesud, why not let the observer
> > query kdesud directlry first, and if a dialog box needs to be
> > shown, THEN call uiserver's method (renamed to openPassDlg) ?
> > That sounds like the right thing to do IMHO.
>
> Should I rever this back to my original design ?  None of the DCOP problems
> will be present, but we will be definitely have the dependncy issue.  David,
> if I do it the way you suggest here, it seems to me that the dependency would
> still be there.

Yes... I thought you could talk to kdesud directly, using DCOP,
but appareently it's not the case
(you need the 'kdesuclient', in case the server is not running
or not allowed to run, etc.).
Don't revert anything yet, Waldo has the solution for those DCOP problems ;-)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org