List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       2000-05-18 11:11:53

joerg habenicht wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have checked a status page for the kdenetwork module into the
> > developer.kde.org module, similar to the ones already existing for other
> > packages. Attached is a text version of this file for your convenience.
> >
> > Please let me know if you thing anything is missing here, wrongly
> > judged, etc. Also, please don't be mad at me if you think that "your"
> > program is in a better shape than I described it, just let me know. All
> > that is written there are my personal impressions.
> >
> > Kalle

> >                        Application: karchie
> >                        Maintainer:  Jörg Habenicht
> >
> >                                        * Archie service is dead?
> >                                        * Obsoleted by FTP module in
> >                        Notes:            Columbo?
> >                                        * Does not run?
> >                                        * Only partially ported to KDE 2.

> Well, I'm still there caring for my module ;)

Nice to hear! :-)

> I don't think that archie is dead right now, though it may be a matter of
> time after one or the other server closed down.
> On the other hand it gives you a nice method to look up ftp-server
> contents.

AFAIK, the archie databases are not updated any longer. The same
functionality is now provided by ftpsearch (which AFAIK is what Columbo
FTP uses).

> right now I try to move it to KDE2 and make it KParts (to enable it for
> konqueror "find-in-internet"?) .
> On the other hand I don't got enough time to get it ready for KDE2.0,
> therefor I vote for moving it to kdenonbeta.

OK. Do you already know that you won't manage to update it in time or do
you want us to "wait and see"? If you know that you won't manage to
update it before August/September, we can move it right away.

If you want, I can also help you updating it so that we don't have to
move it. Just let me know what you want to do yourself.

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer     Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de  Technical writing

Lukashenko and the Pope - the last remaining dictators in Europe.