List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-05-18 0:43:09

Michael Reiher wrote:

> Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> >
> > I would suggest that Carsten tries to fix ksirc (hopefully) with your
> > input, and we continue to offer kvirc from our FTP server. If Carsten
> > does not manage to freshen up ksirc in time, I'd rather go with no IRC
> > client in the base distribution than an not-maintainable one - we don't
> > have an ICQ client either...
> Which is a pitty, btw. Because ICQ is a widely used service. Kdenetwork
> should cover most common services. So IMO it would be good if we could
> find an ICQ client for inclusion into the base distribution.
> KXicq for instance. My favourite client;) Itīs pretty feature rich and
> widely configurable. And, as far as I can judge that, in a pretty good
> shape and actively maintained.  The only technical drawback from my
> point of view is that itīs not yet ported over to the 2.0 API. But this
> point probably applies to most apps that are not(yet) part of CVS. And
> of course the author would need to want that.
> This is of course only my opinion as a user of KXicq. The author might
> have a different one;)
>
> Btw: I think we should also have an AIM client in kdenetwork. Is there
> something like that for KDE?

I second that we check out to see if kxicq's authors are willing to work
out of our CVS. It's another popular protocol users ask about
frequently, and it doesn't duplicate anything we already have so it
seems to be a good canidate. Personally, I like LICQ but of course it's
just Qt. May be good to ask the authors if they are willing to port and
support it.

As far as AIM, I know there is a project for KDE but believe it's
incomplete. Should be on Freshmeat.

http://www.mosfet.org - The place for KDE development news.
mosfet@mandrakesoft.com
mosfet@kde.org