List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of kdenetwork module
From:       Matthias Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       2000-05-17 14:58:15

mosfet wrote:

> I talked to Simon about kvirc as well. KSirc seems essentially
> unmaintained right now and as someone who uses IRC a lot it really does
> need a lot of work. Not only fixing segfaults, but also with the UI.
> KVirc OTOH is very actively maintained and now has a crapload of
> features. This does make it rather huge (it has it's own help browser,
> etc...) but is a quite cool and actively maintained client IMHO.
>
> >From my emails with him, he is willing to commit kvirc into CVS but not
> maintain it there. He would simply automatically update KDE CVS from his
> CVS for kvirc. He seems to want to have a little more control over it's
> development, which is understandable. Nonetheless I don't really think
> this is okay - things distributed in KDE packages should be maintained
> there as well so everyone can add essential fixes, etc...
>
> If you guys are willing to let him continue maintaining in his CVS and
> just updating ours periodically I think he would go for it. I don't know
> if that's good or not. Either way something has to be done about IRC and
> kdenetwork.

I don't like this. KDE is all about collaboration, people taking over
when somebody else does not have the time any longer and people helping
out each other. It is no problem to have satellite programs that are
just distributed via our FTP server, but I see no room for a
non-kde-CVS-maintained program in the base distribution.

I would suggest that Carsten tries to fix ksirc (hopefully) with your
input, and we continue to offer kvirc from our FTP server. If Carsten
does not manage to freshen up ksirc in time, I'd rather go with no IRC
client in the base distribution than an not-maintainable one - we don't
have an ICQ client either...

Kalle